Ex-Oakland Raiders Defensive Anthony Smith Charged with 4 Counts of 1st Degree Murder
This is terrible news coming from a once promising and popular athlete for the Oakland Raiders. Let’s pray for the victims and the accused.
LA Times reports:
Former Oakland Raiders defensive end Anthony Wayne Smith, whose murder trial stemming from a 2008 shooting death ended in a hung jury, was charged this week with three more Los Angeles County slayings from several years earlier.
The new criminal complaint, filed on Monday, charges Smith, 43, with a total of four counts of first-degree murder, incorporating the original case against him and the kidnap-killings of three other men – one in 1999 and two in 2001.
An arraignment has been set for July 17 on the new charges, and Smith remains held without bond, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, Sandi Gibbons, said on Thursday.
Smith, a first-round 1990 draft pick of the Raiders, then based in Los Angeles, and an 11th pick overall for the National Football League that year, played all seven seasons of his NFL career for the Raiders, first in Los Angeles and then in Oakland.
Here are the details of the murders:
The three of the four charges include victims: November 1999 killing of Kevin and Ricky Nettles (brothers) and the June 2001 killing of Dennis Henderson.
According to a spokeswoman from the LA DA’s office Gibbons, the Nettles brothers were abducted from a car wash in Los Angeles by two individuals posing as police officers and were found shot to death the next day.
About 19 months later, Henderson and another man, Terry Ware, were kidnapped in Los Angeles by several armed suspects, placed in separate cars and driven away. Ware was freed but Henderson’s body was found in the back of a rental car the next day. He had been beaten and stabbed to death, Gibbons said.