Pastor John Osteen Preached Righteousness But Son Joel Osteen Preaches Fluff?

Pastor John Osteen Preached Righteousness But Son Joel Osteen Preaches Fluff?

We found videos of  Lakewood Church Pastor John Osteen, the father of Pastor Joel Osteen. We were able to see a distinct difference in their preaching styles. The father,  late John  Osteen preached in a traditional style and focused on truth and righteousness. On his video below, “How to Find and Do the Will of God for Your Life”, he specifies people finding their gift and using it for God’s purposes. He even spoke on how people can make millions of dollars and stay out of the will of God which would make them miserable.

“There’s something worth more than money and that’s living in the will of God,” he said.

You can see how his traditional straight forward style attracted many believers in his church and around the world. John Osteen hosted a weekly television show “John Osteen” for 16 years until his death in 1999.

His son Joel Osteen reluctantly took over as pastor because he did not want to preach or have the style of preaching like his father. We remember seeing a show when Joel Osteen said those exact words and that he was going to grow Lakewood Church into much bigger ministry and reach many more people.

Well he surely did when he bought a stadium in Houston and now reaches millions of people but what kind of ministry is he teaching? Though it is more modern, is he reaching people to truly save souls or is he providing religious outlet in the form of a church club? Does he have what it takes to really win souls that want to live for God or only follow the “Joel Osteen phenomenon”?

Don’t get us wrong, Joel Osteen is a great motivational speaker. When you listen to him, he can encourage you but even when he adds a scripture here and there, some can only feel inspired not delivered. This is the difference in John Osteen the preacher and Joel Osteen the preacher/motivational speaker.

Father and pastor John Osteen would not bite his tongue on anything. He spoke the Gospel as it was intended to be spoken and received. Son and pastor Joel Osteen can move a crowd by ‘inspiring’ people but if he is challenged on his faith, he fumbles his words more than a football player in a losing game. You will rarely get straight answers from him on the scriptures but his father was no stranger to preaching the true gospel of Jesus Christ.

Please check out the two pastors, father and son and see the difference in styles. See if you are encouraged in the Lord to live His will or just feeling inspired by a motivational speech that’s fluffed and wrapped up real pretty.
Here’s the late Pastor John Osteen’s sermon

And here’s his son Joel Osteen’s sermon

Let’s go back to Pastor John Osteen’s question:
“There’s something worth more than money and that’s living in the will of God.”

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

7 Responses to “Pastor John Osteen Preached Righteousness But Son Joel Osteen Preaches Fluff?”

1. Willdav713 says:

I have a couple of old tapes with Pastor John Osteen, but I do like Pastor Joel Osteen I started watching it on PAX Sunday nights at 10pm. Some of my former customers at the video store were regulars at Lakewood. He is a Contemporary Pastor not one of hell fire damn nation. Sure there where others before his time like Pastor Robert Schuller. The media didn’t try to downplay him in the 80s. I guess they were more focused on those so called “healers” like Peter Popoff, and Robert Tilton. My next door neighbor dated Steven who played precussion for the choir at Lakewood. I guess the media today seems to go after these people because they have nothing better to report, and they haven’t done something contreversal.

Pastor Joel has not done anything wrong, has a positive attitude, welcomes all and to me that is “Christian” But you take Pat Robertson on the other hand, who gets political about things. Politcs and Relgion should not comingle. That is like Homer Simpson doing Noah’s Ark during the Super Bowl Half time. Don’t get me started on Jerry Fallwell who didn’t practice what he preached if he did he wouldn’t have over eaten and had a heart attack. It is one thing to preach, but you have to practice what you preach, and that is what Pastor Joel does.

2. JUNE says:

I LIVE IN HOUSTON, I LOVED THE OLD MAN. IHAVE STUDIED ENOUGH OF THE BIBLE TO KNOW I HAVEN’T HEARD MUCH COME FROM JOEL THAT IS NOT PERVERTED,I PERSONALLY CALL HIM ‘THE LA- DE-DAH HA!HA! HA!!!! PREACHER’
    I HAVE A DISABILITY AND USE A PARATRANSIT SERVICE FOR TRANSPORTAION AND I RIDE WITH A LOT OF LAKEWOOD PEOPLE. I REMEMBER A LADY FROM LAKEWOOD TALKING TO ANOTHER LADY ABOUT THE CHURCH, WE’RE THE BIGGEST CHURCH IN THE U.S., WE DO THIS, WE DO THAT, BLAH, BLAH. BLAH I LISTENED TO HER FOR 20 MINUTES WITHOUT ANY MENTION OF GOD.

I USED TO HAVE A NEIGHBOR WHO ATTENDED LAKEWOOD. I REMEMBER WHEN SHE GOT PREGNANT AND THE CHURCH GAVE HER A BABY SHOWER,THAT BLEW MY MIND. I THOUGHT OF HER AS A ‘CHRISTIAN WHORE’ FOR ALL THE DIFFERENT MEN I SAW RUNNING IN AND OUT OF HER APARTMENT. SHE MAY HAVE BEEN PROSTITUTUNG AND I WOULD HEAR IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD ABOUT WHO HAD JUST DONE HER AND WHO WAS LINING UP NEXT. IT DISGUST ME, SHE WOULD COME OUT IN THE DAY TIME WITH HER BIBLE AND HOLIER THAN THOU MENTALITY…..OH AN HAD THIS THING FOR MUSLIM MEN. I WOULD SIT BACK AND WATCH, KNOWING SHE WASN’T FOLLOWING THE JESUS I STUDIED IN SCRIPTURE. THIS WAS A LAKEWOOD PRODUCT.
    THAT WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN TOLERATED BY THE OLD MAN JOHN OSTEEN, HE WAS A REAL PREACHER….HE PREACHED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND REPENTANCE, JOEL IS ABOUT YOUR BEST LIFE NOW AND SMILING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK.

3. 2Pc says:

Oh, wow! I’ve been looking for something like this. Big thanks to you, AT2W!!

Willdav713,
    Joel Osteen preaches a watered down gospel message. When you have that much popularity as a preacher, it’s probably because you’ve compromised your message. Remember, this is the same guy who failed to tell Larry King that Jesus is the only way to God. 1 Corinthians talks about the offense of the cross. It;s not something people would naturally be attracted to, so if you water it down, people will be more likely to come because the offense has been removed. And that’s why many churches are filled with false converts.

God bless.

4. AT2W Staff says:

Thanks June. That is some interesting stuff you provided about your neighbor and her two sided life. Also the ladies on the bus stating everything about the church and nothing about Jesus. This proves again that the church is all about happy good times and no conviction or repentance needed. Shame, shame.

5. Mark says:

Years ago I used to listen and watch Joel Osteen’s father John Osteen. John Osteen founded Lakewood Church. I still have VHS recordings of some of his messages. My recollection was that they actually started Lakewood in a barn in a big field outside Houston, TX. John Osteen had begun his ministry as a Southern Baptist preacher, but later on began to see how denominational restraints or lack of belief in what he called the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the full gospel message & healing limited the movement of God in his life and the church. Now I am not saying I know every detail that led John to break away and start his own fellowship, but he preached the gospel and in this I believe he is totally correct. And he proclaimed the full counsel of the Bible message. Man is born in sin and he needs a Savior…man needs Jesus Christ as Lord to save him from his lost sinful condition. This is the major issue personally held by many about the differences in father and son. John Osteen preached the righteousness of God and the only Savior for mankind, one must be born-again through His Son Jesus Christ who was sinless, God’s Lamb that took upon himself the sins of the world, was put to death by the conspiring Jews and Gentiles of His day, was buried and rose again on the third day the conquering Savior, seen of men and ascended back to His Father, and is our High Priest. Jesus then sent the Holy Spirit upon the day of Pentecost, to baptize within each person who believes on His name from that day to this. John did not back down from preaching the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ for repentance and salvation. It did not matter where he was, whether he was in company of believers or non-believers, on television, radio, or in person. When listening to John Osteen preach, one heard the love and mercy of God, His power to casting out devils and pray for healing, conviction of sin, encouraged and the desire to please God by submitting to His will…His beloved Son Jesus Christ was the inspiration.

Joel Osteen does not preach the full counsel of God’s Word—and that is putting it mildly. Joel cowers at the thought of proclaiming the righteousness, holiness, sanctified sinless Lamb of God that laid down His life to save guilty sinners like us. Joel preaches a little motivational pep talk, mentions financial prosperity with just a little religious seasoning sprinkled in. He thinks it is a good thing to avoid mentioning SIN…the very thing that separates us from Holy God. This is why I cannot stomach to see or hear anything Joel Osteen says or does. He is leading many weak people astray. My prayer is that he will see the error of his ways, and repent from sin.

6. TJ - CHURCH FOLK REVOLUTION says:

I was just about to write an article about Pop Osteen when I came across this amazing commentary – so there’s no need for me to write it. I will simply link up to this page. I just love you guys – you keep me humbled every time I encounter the fullness of your body of work. You inspire me!

Thank you for all the many hours you have invested in you one website, because I know how hard it is to create good content. AT2W is truly the gift that continues to give.

Love Ya!

Ya Boy in New Orleans

TJ

7. AT2W Staff says:

Thanks TJ. We appreciate you too, sir. God bless you with the work you do. You inspire us too!!